to Trans Vancouver Island
A resource and information site for transgender people and their allies on Vancouver Island
Please send suggestions for additional content or information updates to firstname.lastname@example.org
This site does not endorse any organizations, services, or individuals listed here.
Updated 10 June 2016
Vancouver Island Individuals Interested in Providing Peer Support
Salt Spring Island peer support for trans people and their partners.
Available for general advice for other trans people, family, friends. Academic researcher, author, speaker, and university administrator who has worked with the trans community for almost 30 years.
One-on-One peer support, advocacy, and trans education. Host of Breaking Binary radio show (University of Victoria CFUV 101.9 FM) Tuesdays at 4 p.m.
Assistance in locating research, information and resources for trans people on Vancouver Island.
Tax filing assistance. Reasonable rates.
Peer support and mentoring for trans people overall and TransGals in particular.
Vancouver Island Organizations, Professionals, and Businesses Offering Services to Trans People
AIDS Vancouver Island (AVI)
- AIDS Vancouver Island serves the needs of people infected and affected by HIV and hepatitis C. Its mission is to strengthen community, prevent infection, provide support, and combat stigma. Services include Positive Wellness Programs, Street Outreach, Health Promotion and Community Awareness, Men’s Wellness Programs and Volunteer Programs.
AIDS Vancouver Island Courtenay/Comox
- 355 6th St., Courtenay, BC, V9N 1M2
AIDS Vancouver Island Campbell River
- 1371 c. Cedar Street, Campbell River BC, V9W 2W6
AIDS Vancouver Island Nanaimo
- #102-55 Victoria Road, Nanaimo BC V9R 5N9
Ambit Gender Diversity Consulting
- AGDC offers professional development for businesses and organizations who are committed to increasing the accessibility of their services for trans, two-spirit, and gender diverse people. Whether it’s serving clients better, working with staff needs, or engaging your community, this training will truly benefit everyone!
- Established in 2002, Antidote is an award-winning grassroots network and community-based organization of over 180 multiracial girls and women in Victoria, British Columbia. Our members represent diverse voices, ages, ethno-cultural, linguistic and religious backgrounds and affiliations in the community. We work with youth, families, schools, community groups, service providers, policy makers and researchers to promote the visibility and needs of racialized minority and Indigenous girls and women.
Bailey Counselling Therapy
- Vanessa A. Bailey. Registered nurse and registered clinical counsellor.
Otis Bell Holistic Bodywork
- I am a transgender massage therapist, offering sliding scale massage to the trans and queer community in Victoria.
- Sarah Pullman, MA, RCC, Reg. Clinical Counsellor. Works on issues of anxiety, depression, trauma, and conducts hormone assessment.
Camas Bookstore & InfoShop
- The Camas Infoshop is a not-for-profit and collectively-run infoshop, bookstore and autonomous space located on Lekwungen Territory. Camas first opened its doors in September 2007, with the intention of providing a voice for anti-authoritarian and anti-colonial perspectives and local struggles, and helping to foster a spirit of solidarity with other such struggles taking place globally.
Camosun College Pride Centre
Comox Valley Transgender Discussion Group
- Discussion group actively working with trans-folk and will be trying to reach out to gender-variant or questioning folks, offer a discussion Group, and some support and information
Tracey Coulter, M.A., R.C.C. (#5182)
Cowichan Computer Whisperer
- In-house technical support and general computer services for Cowichan Valley and beyond, provided by a trans-friendly computer professional.Visit http://kristoforwilson.com/
Creating Connections Discussion Group
- Victoria-based LGBT monthly discussion group actively reaching out to gender-variant or questioning folks. Meets first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at 3 Fan Tan Alley, #300 (third floor), Victoria.
Crown Isle Clinic
- Dr. Sharmeen Mazaheri
- 300-444 Lerwick Road, Courtenay
Kathleen Duncan (RMT), Registered Massage Therapy
Dr. Caspar Friesen, MD
- Sitka Health Centre, 1284 Fairfield Rd., Victoria, BC V8V 4W3
- Phone: 250-598-5158
- FAX: 250-598-6066
- Box 644, Salt Spring Island, B.C., V8K 2W2
- Accepts only trans patients; currently accepts new patients. Accepts referrals from counsellors.
Gays and Lesbians of Salt Spring Island (GLOSSI)
- GLOSSI is a non-profit society for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning people with Allies on Salt Spring Island. The society has the following mission: to undertake educational outreach services on LGBTQ issues for the community at large; to provide opportunities for fun and socializing; to offer referral services to individuals who need support and comfort; and to generally help encourage a positive and visible LGBTQ presence in the community.
Gender-Free Ballroom Dancing
- Not Your Usual Ballroom is a place for gender-free ballroom dancing, that is, non-traditional partnering. As such, it will be of interest to women who would like to learn to dance and are happy to lead or follow other women, experienced female follows wanting to learn to lead, experienced male leads wanting to learn the follow part, men or women who prefer to dance with a partner of the same sex, or experienced follows wanting to help others learn to dance. This group is now being formed in Victoria. Everyone will be a beginning in some way. Contact Alicia via email@example.com.
Guidepost Counselling and Consultation – Elizabeth Holland
- Elizabeth is a Registered Clinical Counsellor who works with teens and adults exploring issues of gender and sexuality, and provides a safe and welcoming space for trans people to work with other issues, including depression, anxiety, trauma, relationships, and the stresses of life.
- Ocean Lum (MA, BsC) is a Registered Clinical counsellor yoga instructor and meditation teacher. She conducts hormone assessments. Ocean specializes in a holistic approach to stress, anxiety and depression by integrating counselling, mindfulness and yoga. 30 min free consultation.
Homospun Collective Events
- The Homospun Collective is a growing group of folks looking to put on inclusive events for the GLBTQ community and friends, allies, and anyone interested in finding alternative spaces to meet, create, dance, relax, and make friends.
Hormone Readiness Assessment
- Vanessa A. Bailey. Registered nurse and registered clinical counsellor. 221-560 Johnson Street, Victoria. Phone: (250) 858-7770. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Magali Brulot, Psychologist. 201-1770 Fort Street, Victoria BC V8R 1J5, 250-888-5645
- Sarah Irons, MA, Reg. Clinical Counsellor. BodyMind Counselling. 1517 Amelia Street, Victoria. 250-999-9349. www.bodymindcounselling.ca
- Dr. Sharmeen Mazaheri. Crown Isle Clinic. 300-444 Lerwick Road, Courtenay. 250-338-1333
- Margaret Stephens. Psychotherapist. Centre for Counselling & Therapy and Victoria Women’s Counselling. 221-560 Johnson St, Victoria, BC V8W 3C6. 250-380-9924
Island Sexual Health
- Island Sexual Health Society offers sexual health clinics and sex education programs for all genders, orientations, identities, and ages in Greater Victoria.
Heather Michael, MSW, RCSW Counselling & Consulting Victoria, BC
- I am a Registered Clinical Social Worker in private practice with experience working in Mental Health Services. I work with children, youth, and families. I am also able to administer hormone readiness assessments.
Mid-Island Trans Yahoo Group
- Small Yahoo distribution list for trans & gender variant folks in the central island area (Duncan through Courtenay). This group is for trans, gender variant, crossdressing, and questioning people in Nanaimo and the Central Vancouver Island area. MidIslandTransemail@example.com
Joanna Morrison, M.Ed Counselling Psychology, Registered Clinical Counsellor.
- Queer therapist based in Nanaimo with client base in Salt Spring, Gabriola and greater Nanaimo area. Works with trans clients and will be able to administer hormone readiness assessment.
Nanaimo LGBT Youth Group
- Includes trans and genderqueer youth. For more information, contact Samuel Salvati at Samuel.Salvati@avi.org
- Based in Victoria, BC, http://onmyplanet.ca is a queer and trans positive website that houses The Queer Story Archive. The Archive is an ever-expanding collection of life experience stories, on video and in text, from everyone under the rainbow and the people who love us. As of November 2014 there are more than 90 stories posted, many of them from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Onmyplanet.ca also has an online support and referral network local to BC. In development is ‘Work It Out’, an online workbook for reducing homophobia, transphobia and sexual prejudice that will incorporate the video stories. To join our mailing list click here http://onmyplanet.ca/mundo/?page_id=2624
Out on Campus
- LGBT Student Group, Vancouver Island University.Out On Campus is a student social club at VIU which organizes activities for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirit and Questioning students and their straight-identified allies.
Parents of Gender Creative Kids – Nanaimo
- A parent-to-parent peer support group for parents of gender creative children and youth. Meets on Wednesdays in 2016 (Jan. 13, Feb. 10, March 9, April 13, May 11, June 8) from 6 to 7:45 p.m. at Vancouver Island Regional Library Nanaimo North, 6250 Hammond Bay Road.
Partners of Transgender Individuals
- Victoria-based closed Facebook group
- Vancouver Island University, 900 Fifth Street, Nanaimo, BC, Canada V9R 5S5
- 250-753-3245 Local 2750
- University of Victoria, 3800 Finnerty Road, Victoria BC V8P 5C2
PFLAG Campbell River
- PFLAG Canada is a national charitable organization, founded by parents who wished to help themselves and family members understand and accept their non-heterosexual children. Through PFLAG Canada and Contact network, we actively assist in the recognition and growth of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirit, intersex, queer and questioning persons and their families and friends, within their diverse cultures and societies. The Campbell River chapter offers support via email and connection to other support groups on Vancouver Island.
PFLAG Port Alberni
PFLAG Salt Spring
Positive Space Alliance
- The Positive Space campaign seeks to raise awareness of diversity in sexual orientation and gender identity and to challenge the patterns of silence that continue to marginalize bisexuals, gays, lesbians, and transgendered individuals.
Positive Space Network
- The Positive Space Network is a visible network of students, faculty, staff and alumni who are working to make the University of Victoria a safer and more inclusive space for people of all genders and sexualities. The PSN seeks to work with and strengthen the services that already exist at UVic by creating a network that supports and connects people working toward inclusion, promotes best practices, links researchers and provides support and resources for individuals.
Proud Youth Nanaimo
- Proud Youth Nanaimo is a social group for queer youth and their allies, to connect and support one another
- For everyone under the queer umbrella living with varying (dis)abilities. Meets on the first Tuesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m. at @theDock, third floor, 3 Fan Tan Alley, Victoria. Contact Jonathan Degenhardt at 888-241-9992 extension 202.
Queerest T in Town
- Meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month from 8:45 to 9:45 p.m. at QV Cafe, 1701 Government Street, Victoria. Contact ChrYs Tei at 888-241-9992 extension 100.
Queer, Trans, Two-Spirit and Allied Youth Drop In Group
- A drop-in for self-identified queer, trans, two-spirit, and allied youth between 13 and 18. This is a fun hang-out space for youth to create what you need, meet new folks, make new friends, socialize, or just be you. A safer/supportive space with queer and trans mentors. Meets Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Upside Teen Center at Saanich Commonwealth Place.
Rainbow Health Co-operative
- The Rainbow Health Co-operative hosts various queer and trans*-oriented community gatherings and meetings at @theDock, third floor, 3 Fan Tan Alley, Victoria.
- Contact Chrys Tei firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-888-241-9992 Extension 100
- #208-852 Fort Street Street, Victoria
S.A.J.E. Wellness & Transition
- Dr. Michael Sorsdahl, PhD, RCC, CCC. Counselor with significant experience in trauma therapy (PTSD), group dynamics/counselling, LGBTQ+ issues, men’s issues, and life transitions. Offers discounts to members of the transgender community.
Dr. Sharolyn Sloat, Psychologist (CPBC #1666)
Dr. Liam “Captain” Snowdon
- Counsellor and Somatic Sex Educator. Victoria, BC. Counseling and support for folks on gender journeys. Working with non-binary, genderqueer, cross-dressing and trans*folks in person in Victoria and online. Supporting parents, friends and partners of trans folks on their journeys. Sliding Scale rates available; please mention this website.
South Vancouver Island Gender Variant Drop-In
- A drop-in program for trans*, gender-variant, and two-spirit individuals in the south island area. Meets second Wednesday of the month from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Esquimalt Public Health, 520 Fraser Street, Victoria.For more information, email email@example.com call (250) 384-2366, ext 2273. Starts May 2016.
SpiritFirstCounseling at Comox
- At SpiritFirst Counselling, as the name implies, I see spirit first – not gender, age, ethnicity, occupation, income, physical appearance, education, orientation, ability, or any particular religion – although I understand these aspects influence our self-image. As a Registered Clinical Counsellor I have assisted families in their desire to support transgender relatives generally, and to transition into systems (ie – schools) specifically. As a lesbian feminist therapist I bring a strong respectful sensitivity to individuals, using an empowerment model in my approach.
Kate Steele Counselling, Victoria
- I am a counsellor in private practice and interested in counselling transgender clients. I am especially interested in working with children, youth and families in promoting understanding of gender identity and supporting them through that process.
Dr. Garrett Stetson, R.Psych
- I provide individual psychotherapy services to children, adolescents and adults dealing with a wide variety of issues including depression, anxiety, trauma and addictions. I work primarily in a cognitive-behavioral style, drawing on narrative, solution-focused and motivational therapies. I’m proud to offer respectful, knowledgeable services to queer and transgender individuals of all ages.
TransAction Victoria Collective
- TransAction is a local collective of activists, advocating for the rights of, and striving to create community with and for Trans and Gender-Variant people in the Greater Victoria Area, Coast Salish Territories, through direct action, awareness raising activities and the ongoing project of creating safer spaces.
Transmasculine Drop-In Discussion Group
- Meets once a month from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at @theDock, third floor, 3 Fan Tan Alley, Victoria.
- Contact Chrys Tei firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-888-241-9992 Extension 100
- Student Union Building, University of Victoria P.O. Box 3035, Victoria, BC V8W 3P3
- 250- 472-4393
- Rep to Trans Groups: Dylyn (email@example.com)
- 110-1139 Yates Street, Victoria, BC V8V 3N2
- Suite 109-1026 Johnson St.Victoria, BC V8V 3N7
- 250- 592-4532
- Box 8607, Victoria BC V8W 3S2
- #201 – 3060 Cedar Hill Road, Lekwungen Territories, Victoria, BC V8T 3J5
- 250-383-3232 (24 hour crisis line)
- Boys & Girls Club Services of Greater Victoria
- Three Bridges Community Health Centre301-1290 Hornby StreetVancouver, BC, V6Z 1W2, Canada
- 604.734.1514 or 1.866.999.1514 (BC only)
- Two existing provincial resources, the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Trans Health Information Program (THiP) and VCH/ Health Canada funded CALL Out! have begun to integrate with the Trans Care BC program at the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). As this transition occurs, you may notice that the THiP website has been refreshed to reflect this change. The site address is now http://transhealth.phsa.ca/ but the old address will still forward to the site. The service and information provided by THiP and Callout remains the same.
TransVictoria Peer Support Group
- TransVictoria Peer Support Group is a closed peer support group for questioning or transitioning transfolk. All ages are welcome. Contact can be made on FB and through email. The group exists for support and safety to encourage dialogue and community.
The Transgender Archives (University of Victoria)
- The Transgender Archives at the University of Victoria hold a large collection of archival material related to modern transgender activism and research.The archives are open to the public. For more information about the collections, and about supporting the archives , please visit
http://transgenderarchives.uvic.ca/or contact Academic Director Dr. Aaron Devor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Trans Fem Sisterly Support
- Of special interest to transwomen and transfeminine folks. Takes place on fourth Tuesday of the month from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Meets @theDock, 3 Fan Tan Alley, #300, Victoria (third floor). Contact Alexa at 888 241 9992 Extension 202.
University of Victoria Pride
The Pride Collective is a constituency group of the University of Victoria Students’ Society mandated to represent, advocate for, and provide services for queer students on Campus. The group receives its funding from the undergraduate students at the University of Victoria. Its responsibility is to meet the needs of the student body as a whole on queer issues. It also advocates for the community at large.
Vancouver Island Persons Living with HIV/AIDS Society (VPWAS)
Peer-based HIV/AIDS organization on Vancouver Island. Non-profit, member-based organization made up of HIV+ and HepC co-infected people. Offers compassionate peer support and treatment information.
Dr. Lucretia van den Berg (Endocrinologist; by referral only)
- Email list for genderqueers of Victoria and area.
Victoria Pink Pages
Victoria Pride Society
Victoria Sexual Assault Centre
Victoria Sexual Assault Centre has highly qualified trauma specialists who provide services to individuals impacted by sexual assault and abuse. Primarily serves the Capital Regional District of British Columbia. The Sexual Assault Centre is improving its capacity to support trans and gender-variant folks and has a part-time Trans* Inclusion Coordinator.
Youth Care Homes
- Offers Supportive Recovery Care Homes, Turning Point Program, Withdrawal Management Program for male, female, and transgender youth aged 12 to 19.
- Youth engagement program focused on building a wide range of community capacity and youth leadership opportunities including, but not limited to, transgender youth.
British Columbia Resources
Vancouver Coastal Transgender Health Information program
Coordination of transgender health system in British Columbia. Education and training for service providers; information, referral, advocacy, and support for anyone with a transgender health question (trans people, loved ones, employers, service providers).
British Columbia LGBT End of Life Conversations
The Davie Village
Provincial Health Services Authority Trans Health Future Directions
updated 10 June 2016