to Trans Vancouver Island
A resource and information site for transgender and gender diverse people and their allies on Vancouver Island
I’ve been maintaining this site as a volunteer since 2012, when an applied local research project supported by Royal Roads University surfaced a community need for an island-specific resource directory. Please send suggestions for additional content or information updates to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m also glad to provide pro bono assistance in locating research, information, and resource referrals for Vancouver Island trans and gender diverse individuals and their families.
— matthew heinz, phd, http://www.royalroads.ca/people/matthew-heinz
This site does not endorse any organizations, services, or individuals listed here.
Updated 30 January 2017
AIDS Vancouver Island (AVI)
- AIDS Vancouver Island serves the needs of people infected and affected by HIV and hepatitis C. Its mission is to strengthen community, prevent infection, provide support, and combat stigma. Services include Positive Wellness Programs, Street Outreach, Health Promotion and Community Awareness, Men’s Wellness Programs and Volunteer Programs.
AIDS Vancouver Island Courtenay/Comox
- 355 6th St., Courtenay, BC, V9N 1M2
AIDS Vancouver Island Campbell River
- 1371 c. Cedar Street, Campbell River BC, V9W 2W6
AIDS Vancouver Island Nanaimo
- #102-55 Victoria Road, Nanaimo BC V9R 5N9
All Gender Vocal Practice Campus – Healthy Voices Sessions
- Meets first and third Tuesdays from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. at Mt Tolmie Community Room, Vancity Credit Union, Shelbourne and Cedar Hill Cross Road, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative.
All Gender Vocal Practice – Healthy Voices Sessions
- Meets second and fourth Tuesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Rainbow Health Co-operative, #107 -1208 Wharf Street (Courtyard Level – Hartwig Court). Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative.
Ambit Gender Diversity Consulting
- AGDC offers professional development for businesses and organizations who are committed to increasing the accessibility of their services for trans, two-spirit, and gender diverse people. Whether it’s serving clients better, working with staff needs, or engaging your community, this training will truly benefit everyone!
- Established in 2002, Antidote is an award-winning grassroots network and community-based organization of over 180 multiracial girls and women in Victoria, British Columbia. Our members represent diverse voices, ages, ethno-cultural, linguistic and religious backgrounds and affiliations in the community. We work with youth, families, schools, community groups, service providers, policy makers and researchers to promote the visibility and needs of racialized minority and Indigenous girls and women.
Bailey Counselling Therapy
- Vanessa A. Bailey. Registered nurse and registered clinical counsellor.
Otis Bell Holistic Bodywork
- I am a transgender massage therapist, offering sliding scale massage to the trans and queer community in Victoria.
- One Yoga, 239 Menzies Street Suite 201, Victoria
- (250) 882-2819
- Sarah Pullman, MA, RCC, Reg. Clinical Counsellor. Works on issues of anxiety, depression, trauma, and conducts hormone assessment.
Breaking Chains Counselling
- Terry Ketteringham, MA, CCAC. Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor in Nanaimo, BC. Offers addiction counselling, recovery coaching and trauma therapy. Experience with people in the LGBT community.
Camas Bookstore & InfoShop
- The Camas Infoshop is a not-for-profit and collectively-run infoshop, bookstore and autonomous space located on Lekwungen Territory. Camas first opened its doors in September 2007, with the intention of providing a voice for anti-authoritarian and anti-colonial perspectives and local struggles, and helping to foster a spirit of solidarity with other such struggles taking place globally.
Camosun College Pride Centre
Kathleen Campbell (RMT), Registered Massage Therapy
- #411-1061 Fort Street, Victoria
- 250- 896-2155
Chemainus Peer support and mentoring for trans people overall and TransGals in particular
Comox Valley Transgender Discussion Group
- Discussion group actively working with trans-folk and will be trying to reach out to gender-variant or questioning folks, offer a discussion Group, and some support and information
Tracey Coulter, M.A., R.C.C. (#5182)
James Cowan R.C.C., Tall Tree Counselling and Consulting Services, Port Alberni
Cowichan Computer Whisperer
- In-house technical support and general computer services for Cowichan Valley and beyond, provided by a trans-friendly computer professional.Visit http://kristoforwilson.com/
Creating Connections Discussion Group
- Creating Connections is a common posting Facebook page for events (mainly queer) of interest to the IslandZ community.
Crown Isle Clinic
- Dr. Sharmeen Mazaheri, Family Physician. Note: Currently not accepting new patients.
- 300-444 Lerwick Road, Courtenay
Family Night (Pizza and More 4 times a year)
- Meets fifth Tuesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative.
Dr. Caspar Friesen, MD
- Sitka Health Centre, 1284 Fairfield Rd., Victoria, BC V8V 4W3
- Phone: 250-598-5158
- FAX: 250-598-6066
- Box 644, Salt Spring Island, B.C., V8K 2W2
- Family Physician. Accepts only trans patients; currently accepts new patients. Accepts referrals from counsellors.
Gays and Lesbians of Salt Spring Island (GLOSSI)
- GLOSSI is a non-profit society for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning people with Allies on Salt Spring Island. The society has the following mission: to undertake educational outreach services on LGBTQ issues for the community at large; to provide opportunities for fun and socializing; to offer referral services to individuals who need support and comfort; and to generally help encourage a positive and visible LGBTQ presence in the community.
Gender Creative Kids Nanaimo Peer Family Support Group
Gender Outlaws Drop-In Group
- Meets third Wednesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria (Courtyard Level – Hartwig Court). Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Facilitated by Janis Zroback, Zameen Sabet, ChrYs Tei.
Guidepost Counselling and Consultation – Elizabeth Holland
- Elizabeth is a Registered Clinical Counsellor who works with teens and adults exploring issues of gender and sexuality, and provides a safe and welcoming space for trans people to work with other issues, including depression, anxiety, trauma, relationships, and the stresses of life.
Hans Kai 4 Trans
- Group wellness program offering exchange on medical and social transition experiences and well-being. Meets first Tuesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Open to all. Facilitated by certified Hans Kai facilitators Chrys Tei or Alexa Clodge.
Hans Kai 4 Trans Check In
- Group wellness program offering exchange on medical and social transition experiences and well-being. Meets Tuesdays from 6:00 to 6:30 p.m. to check in on trans health indicators at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Open to all.
- Ocean Lum (MA, BsC) is a Registered Clinical counsellor yoga instructor and meditation teacher. She conducts hormone assessments. Ocean specializes in a holistic approach to stress, anxiety and depression by integrating counselling, mindfulness and yoga. 30 min free consultation.
Homospun Collective Events
- The Homospun Collective is a growing group of folks looking to put on inclusive events for the GLBTQ community and friends, allies, and anyone interested in finding alternative spaces to meet, create, dance, relax, and make friends.
Hormone Readiness Assessment
- Vanessa A. Bailey. Registered nurse and registered clinical counsellor. 221-560 Johnson Street, Victoria. Phone: (250) 858-7770. email@example.com
- Dr. Magali Brulot, Psychologist. 201-1770 Fort Street, Victoria BC V8R 1J5, 250-888-5645
- Ocean Lum, MA, BsC, Registered Clinical Counsellor. 1517 Amelia Street, Victoria. 250-382-3810. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Sharmeen Mazaheri. Crown Isle Clinic. 300-444 Lerwick Road, Courtenay. 250-338-1333. Currently not accepting new patients.
- Heather Michael, MSW, Reg. Clinical Social Worker, 250-217-5963. email@example.com
- Joanna Morrison, Reg. Clinical Counsellor, 250-816-4716. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Pullman, MA, Reg. Clinical Counsellor. BodyMind Counselling. 1517 Amelia Street, Victoria. 250-999-9349. www.bodymindcounselling.ca
- Margaret Stephens. Psychotherapist. Centre for Counselling & Therapy and Victoria Women’s Counselling. 221-560 Johnson St, Victoria, BC V8W 3C6. 250-380-9924
Island Sexual Health
- Island Sexual Health Society offers sexual health clinics and sex education programs for all genders, orientations, identities, and ages in Greater Victoria.
Liquid Capital West Coast Financing Corp. Rebekah Hutchison, Principal. Victoria, BC
- Transfriendly corporation providing working capital solutions for small and medium sized businesses as well as middle market companies.
Heather Michael, MSW, RCSW Counselling & Consulting Victoria, BC
- I am a Registered Clinical Social Worker in private practice with experience working in Mental Health Services. I work with children, youth, and families. I am also able to administer hormone readiness assessments.
Joanna Morrison, M.Ed Counselling Psychology, Registered Clinical Counsellor.
- Queer therapist based in Nanaimo with client base in Nanaimo and Victoria and in between these two cities. Sex therapist; expertise in biofeedback, anxiety and trauma counselling. Works with trans clients and able to administer hormone readiness assessment.
Nanaimo Generation Q Youth Program
- Our mission is to create a safe, supportive, and inclusive space that allows youth to connect, and openly express their concerns regarding issues impacting their lives and the LGBTQQIP2SSA community. For youth aged 13-18. Youth aged 14-24 are encouraged to participate as youth mentors and volunteers. Meets Thursday evenings at the South Side Teen Centre, 20 Fifth Street, Nanaimo, BC.
- Based in Victoria, BC, http://onmyplanet.ca is a queer and trans positive website that houses The Queer Story Archive. The Archive is an ever-expanding collection of life experience stories, on video and in text, from everyone under the rainbow and the people who love us. As of November 2014 there are more than 90 stories posted, many of them from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Onmyplanet.ca also has an online support and referral network local to BC. In development is ‘Work It Out’, an online workbook for reducing homophobia, transphobia and sexual prejudice that will incorporate the video stories. To join our mailing list click here http://onmyplanet.ca/mundo/?page_id=2624
Out on Campus
- LGBT Student Group, Vancouver Island University.Out On Campus is a student social club at VIU which organizes activities for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirit and Questioning students and their straight-identified allies.
Partners of Transgender Individuals
- Victoria-based closed Facebook group
- Kingsley offers LGBT2SQIA+ peer support, community education, and group facilitation (10 years experience). Also available for speaking and corporate training sessions on Gender-Affirming Best Practices.
- Contact Kingston at 778-678-3791 or email@example.com
- Contact: Yvonne Buxton
- Vancouver Island University, 900 Fifth Street, Nanaimo, BC, Canada V9R 5S5
- 250-753-3245 Local 2750
- University of Victoria, 3800 Finnerty Road, Victoria BC V8P 5C2
Peer Support. Available for general advice for other trans people, family, friends.
- Academic researcher, author, speaker, and university administrator who has worked with the trans community for almost 30 years.Contact Aaron H Devor, PhD, at AHDevor@uvic.ca
Peer support, advocacy, and trans education.
- Host of Breaking Binary radio show (University of Victoria CFUV 101.9 FM) Tuesdays at 4 p.m. Contact Daphne Shaed at firstname.lastname@example.org or YouTube (www.youtube.com/user/daphneshaed) or www.trannycyborg.com.
Peer Support. Kingsley Strudwick
PFLAG Campbell River
- PFLAG Canada is a national charitable organization, founded by parents who wished to help themselves and family members understand and accept their non-heterosexual children. Through PFLAG Canada and Contact network, we actively assist in the recognition and growth of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirit, intersex, queer and questioning persons and their families and friends, within their diverse cultures and societies. The Campbell River chapter offers support via email and connection to other support groups on Vancouver Island.
Positive Space Alliance
- The Positive Space campaign seeks to raise awareness of diversity in sexual orientation and gender identity and to challenge the patterns of silence that continue to marginalize bisexuals, gays, lesbians, and transgendered individuals.
Positive Space Network
- The Positive Space Network is a visible network of students, faculty, staff and alumni who are working to make the University of Victoria a safer and more inclusive space for people of all genders and sexualities. The PSN seeks to work with and strengthen the services that already exist at UVic by creating a network that supports and connects people working toward inclusion, promotes best practices, links researchers and provides support and resources for individuals.
Queerest Tea in Town
- Meets every Tuesday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. at QV Cafe, 1701 Government Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Contact ChrYs Tei at 888-241-9992 extension 100.
- Meets third Saturday of every month at 10 a.m., Victoria. Check Rainbow Health Cooperative website for location. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative.
Rainbow Health Co-operative
- The Rainbow Health Co-operative hosts various queer and trans*-oriented community gatherings and meetings in Victoria. Consult the Event Calendar for meeting announcements.
- Contact Chrys Tei email@example.com
- 1-888-241-9992 Extension 100
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Saanich 2-Spirit, Queer, Trans & Allied Youth Dinner & Drop-In
- A drop-in for self-identified 2-Spirit, Queer, Trans & Allied youth between 13-18. This is a fun hang-out space for you to create what you need, meet new folks, make new friends, socialize, or just be you! A safer, supportive space with Queer/Trans mentors. Meets Fridays at 5:30 p.m. at the Upside Teen Centre at Saanich Commonwealth Place.
- Regional contact for Trans Care BC, the provincial transgender health program through Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Regional community engagement coordinator, Island Health Region, Trans Care BC.
S.A.J.E. Wellness & Transition
- Dr. Michael Sorsdahl, PhD, RCC, CCC. Counselor with significant experience in trauma therapy (PTSD), group dynamics/counselling, LGBTQ+ issues, men’s issues, and life transitions. Offers discounts to members of the transgender community.
Salt Spring Island peer support for trans people and their partners.
Dr. Sharolyn Sloat, Psychologist (CPBC #1666)
South Vancouver Island Gender Variant Drop-In
- A drop-in program for trans*, gender-variant, and two-spirit individuals in the south island area. Meets last Thursday of every month from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in downtown Victoria Public Library (first floor, 900s block group meeting room), Victoria.For more information, contact Marshall Kilduff at (250) 384-2366.
SpiritFirstCounseling at Comox
- At SpiritFirst Counselling, as the name implies, I see spirit first – not gender, age, ethnicity, occupation, income, physical appearance, education, orientation, ability, or any particular religion – although I understand these aspects influence our self-image. As a Registered Clinical Counsellor I have assisted families in their desire to support transgender relatives generally, and to transition into systems (ie – schools) specifically. As a lesbian feminist therapist I bring a strong respectful sensitivity to individuals, using an empowerment model in my approach.
Kate Steele Counselling, Victoria
- I am a counsellor in private practice and interested in counselling transgender clients. I am especially interested in working with children, youth and families in promoting understanding of gender identity and supporting them through that process.
Dr. Garrett Stetson, R.Psych
- I provide individual psychotherapy services to children, adolescents and adults dealing with a wide variety of issues including depression, anxiety, trauma and addictions. I work primarily in a cognitive-behavioral style, drawing on narrative, solution-focused and motivational therapies. I’m proud to offer respectful, knowledgeable services to queer and transgender individuals of all ages.
Support Group for Parents and Families of Gender Diverse and Transgender Children and Youth
- Support, connection, resources. You are not alone. Each group session is co-facilitated by Alyx MacAdams, a trans activist and MSW student, and a parent of a trans child. Families in attendance represent an age range of children and youth, gender identities, and expressions. Free. Bus tickets aavilable. Parking free. Third Wednesday of the month, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Commonwealth Place, Upside Teen Lounge, Victoria. Ocotber 19, 2016; November 16, 2016; December 21, 2016; January 18, 2017; February 15, 2017; March 15, 2017; April 19, 2017; May 17, 2017; June 21, 2017. Supported by Saanich Parks and Recreation and Trans Care BC. For more information, contact Alana Goddard at Alana.Goddard@saanich.ca at 250-475-7624. Please RSVP to email@example.com
Tax filing assistance at reasonable rates, Chemainus
TransAction Victoria Collective
- TransAction is a local collective of activists, advocating for the rights of, and striving to create community with and for Trans and Gender-Variant people in the Greater Victoria Area, Coast Salish Territories, through direct action, awareness raising activities and the ongoing project of creating safer spaces.
TransVictoria Peer Support Group
- TransVictoria Peer Support Group is a closed peer support group for questioning or transitioning transfolk. All ages are welcome. Contact can be made on FB and through email. The group exists for support and safety to encourage dialogue and community.
The Transgender Archives (University of Victoria)
- The Transgender Archives at the University of Victoria hold a large collection of archival material related to modern transgender activism and research.The archives are open to the public. For more information about the collections, and about supporting the archives , please visit
http://transgenderarchives.uvic.ca/or contact Academic Director Dr. Aaron Devor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Trans Fem Sisterly Support Drop-In Group
- Meets fourth Tuesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Facilitated by Alexa Clodge, ChrYs Tei.
Trans Masculine Drop-In Group
- Meets second Tuesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. at #107-1208 Wharf Street, Victoria. Sponsored by Rainbow Health Co-operative. Facilitated by Daniel Allen, James Gardner, ChrYs Tei.
University of Victoria Pride
The Pride Collective is a constituency group of the University of Victoria Students’ Society mandated to represent, advocate for, and provide services for queer students on Campus. The group receives its funding from the undergraduate students at the University of Victoria. Its responsibility is to meet the needs of the student body as a whole on queer issues. It also advocates for the community at large.
- Student Union Building, University of Victoria P.O. Box 3035, Victoria, BC V8W 3P3
- 250- 472-4393
- Rep to Trans Groups: Dylyn (email@example.com)
Vancouver Island Transgender Support Group
We all need support in life. Going through life as a transgender person can sometimes mean we need even more support. This is a group for folks to give that support. Share your stories, give tips and advice and just be positive.
- 110-1139 Yates Street, Victoria, BC V8V 3N2
- Suite 109-1026 Johnson St.Victoria, BC V8V 3N7
- 250- 592-4532
- Box 8607, Victoria BC V8W 3S2
- #201 – 3060 Cedar Hill Road, Lekwungen Territories, Victoria, BC V8T 3J5
- 250-383-3232 (24 hour crisis line)
- Boys & Girls Club Services of Greater Victoria
- Three Bridges Community Health Centre301-1290 Hornby StreetVancouver, BC, V6Z 1W2, Canada
- 604.734.1514 or 1.866.999.1514 (BC only)
- Two existing provincial resources, the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Trans Health Information Program (THiP) and VCH/ Health Canada funded CALL Out! have begun to integrate with the Trans Care BC program at the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). As this transition occurs, you may notice that the THiP website has been refreshed to reflect this change. The site address is now http://transhealth.phsa.ca/ but the old address will still forward to the site. The service and information provided by THiP and Callout remains the same.
Vancouver Island Persons Living with HIV/AIDS Society (VPWAS)
Peer-based HIV/AIDS organization on Vancouver Island. Non-profit, member-based organization made up of HIV+ and HepC co-infected people. Offers compassionate peer support and treatment information.
Dr. Lucretia van den Berg (Endocrinologist; by referral only)
- Email list for genderqueers of Victoria and area.
Victoria Pink Pages
Victoria Pride Society
Victoria Sexual Assault Centre
Victoria Sexual Assault Centre has highly qualified trauma specialists who provide services to individuals impacted by sexual assault and abuse. Primarily serves the Capital Regional District of British Columbia. The Sexual Assault Centre is improving its capacity to support trans and gender-variant folks and has a part-time Trans* Inclusion Coordinator.
Youth Care Homes
- Offers Supportive Recovery Care Homes, Turning Point Program, Withdrawal Management Program for male, female, and transgender youth aged 12 to 19.
- Youth engagement program focused on building a wide range of community capacity and youth leadership opportunities including, but not limited to, transgender youth.
British Columbia Resources
Vancouver Coastal Transgender Health Information program
Coordination of transgender health system in British Columbia. Education and training for service providers; information, referral, advocacy, and support for anyone with a transgender health question (trans people, loved ones, employers, service providers).
British Columbia LGBT End of Life Conversations
The Davie Village
Provincial Health Services Authority Trans Health Future Directions
updated 30 January 2017